11.28.2010

National Novel Writing Month: Part The Third

Day 28 of the challenge is coming to a close and I have a measely 32333 words.
I can only say 3 positive things about this:

1. It was actually a lot more words than I realistically considered myself capable of. When I first started the challenge I thought '50,000 words! Cakewalk!' but inside, my soul screamed "You fucking moron! You don't even know 50,000 words!' and though that didn't make any sense because you can't write a book 50,000 words long and never repeat a word, my soul had a point. 32333 words later and even ignoring the time frame I realize I am actually mentally capable of writing a 50,000 word novel.

2. My longest work at the time was a shitty, pseudo-autobiographical grindhouse b-movie of a novella and clocked in at about 23,000 words. having 10,000 words on that thing and not even being done yet (and being confident that this isn't some pulp piece of shit) is a pretty spectacular feeling. Hell, maybe I'll even surpass the 50k.

3. I can't remember what it was I considered the third positive thing I gained from this experience. But I'd like to believe there is a third thing.

Anyways, though I slacked a bit here and there, and my word count is nowhere near where I should be. I've not given up and I won't quit. I will be proud of whatever word count I reach, and eventually I will have a completed book to be proud of.

I have no excerpt for you because I don't want to give too much away! Sucks to be you!

1 comment:

  1. HA. You literally make me laugh out loud.

    I thought I added some comments to your previous excerpts, but I went back to them & they're gone... maybe it was a dream.

    To summarize them: your imagination amazes me, the way you write and keep pace makes my eyes bright green, and I'm so SO excited to read more of this crazy/hysterical/most likely genius story.

    ReplyDelete